Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Down to Business

Here is Sagan, with friend Myra, at work on the paintings:



They took several framed pieces and just painted everything one color. If I had given them other colors for these, they were at the point where everything would have been smeared together into a muddy brown. I will give them back to them with different colors and very small brushes to create some layers, which brings me to the subject of parental guidance.

The way I look at it, parental guidance is not a bad thing, and doesn't make a child's art a "hoax." You guide them in everything. There's no need to pretend the child doesn't benefit from suggestions like "do you think that's enough?" or "don't paint over all your work with the big brush or we won't be able to see it under there," especially at this 4 year old paint smearing stage. I'm even so narrow minded as to tell him he can't paint if he throws the brushes around the kitchen. The purist would find his behavior enchanting, and accuse me of stifling him, I'm sure.

No comments: